Friday, October 15, 2010

Sixty Memorable Annotations

#3 Simen Agdestein

I often tell my students that good players are like monsters from horror movies. You can shoot them and stab them but they won't lie down and even after they are confirmed dead they keep coming after you. So never relax!

Agdestein writing in Win with the Stonewall Dutch (Sverre Johnson & Ivar Bern, Gambit 2009)






My week ...

Monday 11/10: decided to do Friday's post on the theme of the Simen Agdestein quote as above.

Tuesday 12/10: played the following game





Thursday 14/10: read Geoff Chandler's post on the EC Forum that says,

The usual setting for these 'swindles' is when the winning player plays what he thinks is the obvious winning move. It's when the under 2000 player is at his most vulnerable, jumping that last hurdle.



At least I know I'm not alone, but, really, I do this sort of thing far too often. Could be worse, I suppose: I should have lost at the end there after all.







Sixty Memorable Annotations
1: Fischer-Sherwin, New Jersey Open 1957
2: Polugayevsky-Tal, Soviet Championship 1969

1 comment:

ejh said...

It's not what you're saying, but it may be a related point: I have a theory that more often than not, the first moment when we are much worse in a game is the moment when we think, on playing the move, that we are, for the first time, much better.